From the November 20, 1913 issue of the Chicago Daily News, page 1;
“E.C. LEWIS DIES IN BATHTUB
Coroner’s Jury Declares Business Man’s Death an Accident.
Edward C. Lewis, who was 68 years old, was accidentally drowned in the bathroom of his home at 3620 South Michigan avenue late yesterday, according to a verdict returned by a coroner’s jury at the inquest held over his body to-day. His body was found with his head submerged in water, which was running from a faucet and he is thought to have fallen into the tub.
Mr. Lewis was senior member of the firm of Lewis and Kitchen, manufacturers of heating apparatus, with offices in the Karpen building. Yesterday afternoon he left his office complaining of a severe headache and when his wife returned home she found him dead in the bathroom. A physician was summoned, but efforts to revive him were fruitless.
Besides his widow, Mrs. Nellie Lewis, he is survived by a son and two daughters; Samuel R. Lewis, Mrs. J. H. Kitchen of Kansas City, Mo., and Mrs. S. D. Winger of Chicago. The funeral services were held this afternoon. The body will be shipped to Ottawa, Ill., for burial to-morrow.”
The image above comes from The Metal Worker, Plumber, and Steam Fitter, Volume 80 which I found on Google Books.
I’m curious; which is Mr. Lewis’ actual cause of death?